\ All Things Girl Scouts: Mari: Responsible for What I Say and Do - Orange Petal

March 22, 2016

Mari: Responsible for What I Say and Do - Orange Petal




Welcome to the Daisy Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting! The main focus of this book for our first and second year girls is the Daisy Petal Patch.  Unlike the badge work for older girls, there are not a whole heck of a lot of guidelines for the petal patches.

Petal Activity #1:  Enjoy Mari's story, and talk about it.
Mari's story is in the Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting.  Mari the Marigold is the fifth petal of ten that you will learn about in this guide.  Mari's petal is about learning what being responsible for what I say and do means.  If you don't have the Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting, you can hear it read here by Troop #5007.



Petal Activity #2:  Act out ways to be responsible throughout the day

We had a lot of fun with this one.  When I did this badge, I had first year daisy's, so they were 5 and 6 years old.  The first thing we did was an open discussion. We talked about responsibility, and what it means in general.

  • Responsibility means that you have a job or obligation to take care of something or someone.  It means you can be trusted to do what is right.  It means you are accountable for what you say, do - your behavior and actions. It means you take ownership in your life.  Can you give me examples of what being responsible means?
    • Some of the answers I got were:
      • I take care of my brother
      • I don't lie
      • When I say I am going to clean my room, I *actually* clean it
After this, I separated them into to two groups, and each group talked about responsibility.  We asked them these questions:
  • What are some ways you are responsible every day?
  • What does being responsible for your words mean?  Can words hurt people?
  • Is it important to keep your promises? Why?
  • How are you responsible for your actions?
  • What new thing could you do to show you are responsible?


Petal Activity #3:  Practice being responsible

For this petal activity, we chose to do a craft.  Our girls, like I noted earlier, were 5 and 6 year old kinder's, so I chose something simple and easy to understand.

I came across this blog post - with a GREAT tutorial - my blessed life: Door Hanger Chore Charts.  This tutorial is on a door hanger chore chart, and it very simple.
Photo from: my blessed life
We did modify this a bit - we used foam door hangers from walmart.  They came in a pack of 10 for about $4, and they did not require any painting.  We also divided it horizontally, instead of vertically.  Lastly, we only had four or five chores, simply because our girls were little.

This was a really excellent craft for our girls - it was simple, easy to understand and use, and really got them excited about pitching in at home.  My little lady still uses hers now, over a year later!

We had a great time with this - not many things cuter than 5 and 6 year olds learning about girl scouts!  Tell me how your Mari the Marigold earning went!





1 comment:

Thanks for commenting!