Welcome to the Daisy Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting! The main focus of this book for our first and second year girls is the Daisy Petal Patch. Unlike the badge work for older girls, there are not a whole heck of a lot of guidelines for the petal patches.
1. Enjoy Zinni’s Story and talk about it
2. Come up with ideas on how to be like Zinni
This is a fairly simple step - an open forum works well, and its a great segway from discussing the story. Once you talk about the story, and the girls are clear on what being considerate and caring means, you can ask them to come up with ideas on how to be like Zinni. Some leaders like to par off into groups, then come back together to talk about what they came up with, but I prefer the open forum with the little ladies.
3. Practice being kind and considerate.
There are a lot of ways to fulfill this requirement. The Card Making Fun Badge is a great way to fulfill this badge - cards are a great way to show someone how kind and considerate you are.
Another way to complete this badge requirement is to help your girl make jar of kindness. They are simple jars that help (remind) your little ladies to be kind every day.
- Mason jar for each child
- Kindness slip template (download here)
- Art supplies to decorate their kindness jars
1. Give each child a mason jar, and a kindness slip.
2. Have the children share the art supplies, and practice being considerate and caring while they decorate their Jars of Kindness.
3. Have each child write in 2 of their own acts of kindness, and then have them cut out their strips.
4. Have them put their slips in the jar, and explain that they can pull out one strip a day, and practice in that specific way to be caring and consider to the world around them.
**A variation of this jar is to hand out empty, clean baby food jars, and a handful of pony beads - then encourage the girls to fill their jars, adding one pony bead every time they complete an act of kindness.
We had a great time with this - not many things cuter than 5 and 6 year olds learning about girl scouts! Tell me how your Sunny the Sunflower earning went!